Musician A.M talked to us about his musical career journey so far in an interview with Lizzy Lozzo.
‘Don’t stop believing in yourself and don’t let anyone kill your dreams or what you believe in – Ahamdi Mcernest’
1. Tell us about your musical career and how it all started?
I have been writing songs since I was 14 years old. I have always been a very reserved person so I never wanted to be out there reading poems or performing music.
It wasn’t until 2012 when I released a Mixtape single titled “Chasing Paper ” under the name ‘Authentiq’ and then after I decided to dig deep into my sound and culture in 2015 when I released my official single “IMAKA” under the name A.M which is my birth name ‘Ahamdi Mcernest’.
That was the beginning and since then, I haven’t looked back. I am doing music at my own pace and the journey has been great.
2. When was the 1st time you realised you had no limitations?
Since I began focusing on my craft, I knew I had no limitations because of the things I have been able to overcome.
3. When was the moment that your big door/opportunity open?
Whilst working at Gym Box in Covent Garden, I played my new song Imaka that I had just recorded at the time in one of my classes (I am a personal trainer too). Someone heard it and they recommended me to a Dj in Nigeria, the rest was history.
Imaka got a lot of AirPlay on Tv and radio stations in Nigeria. I became well known in Nigerian and was able to do a remix to the song with some of the big name artists in Nigerian that is still yet to be released.
4. As an artist, you could have chosen to do any genre but you have chosen the Afro beats genre, What inspires that?
I wouldn’t say I choose Afrobeats, my music is basically a soundtrack of my life, the only reason I would say afrobeats is because the sound is influenced by afro culture and fusion. Every story I tell is based on my experiences and the sound has to have the African vibe and feel.
Most especially, my music has soul because in my culture “Igbo” that’s the bases of our music.
5. What are some of the obstacles you have faced and how have you over come them?
I have faced so many obstacles, from working with people, but I guess in life, nothing good comes easy. I wouldn’t go too deep into it because I just want to speak on the positive side of things. One thing I can say is I’m thankfull as I’ve learnt my lessons. I have prayed to God and I’ve recieved my blessings.
6. What have your learnt so far?
I’ve learnt that greatness takes time and hard work always pays off .
7. What makes you smile or how do you make your love ones smile?
What makes me smile is doing things that make me happy and to make my love ones smile. When I’m happy, they are all happy.
8. Can you tell us about the message you was trying to send out in your new song?
Well I always promote peace and love, good times and good vibes.
9. What advice would you give to upcoming artists?
My advice will be to keep working, don’t stop believing in yourself and don’t let anyone kill your dreams or what you believe in.
10. Where can we find you on social media and is there any new project you would like to tell us about?
Instagram : @iamamofficial
Twitter : @iamamofficial
Thank you very much for always showing me so much love.
Follow me on:
For business bookings, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks and stay tuneddd for more interesting posts :).